Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Walking in my Converse.


I still remember my very first pair of converse. I was sporting pink high-tops by the ripe old age of eight. Since then, my feet have seen many different colors, even an awesome plaid pair, given to me by my even-more-awesome sister. In high school my friend and I would swap our
"cons" back and forth during homeroom, depending on which color complimented our outfit best. Then we would meander on our way to class in color-coordinated converse, flannels, and baggy jeans; this was the grunge phase afterall.  

I've always felt very much myself in this particular brand of shoe. I don't know why... they're not very comfortable, they're not flashy or sexy, but they are honest somehow.  They suit everyone, young or old, and they don't claim to be anything they're not. It turns out that I appreciate this quality in a shoes and people alike.

Obviously, I have a loving history with these sneakers, so it seemed only fitting that I wear them on one of the biggest trips of my life. The photo above was taken at JFK airport right before I journeyed a very, very, very long way to Australia.  The purpose of this trip was to act as the matron-of-honor for a very close friend. To many this may sound like the trip of a lifetime, but for me it required months of anxiety, self-reflection, and lots of faith.

 For starters, I don't like to fly and I'm also not a fan of poisonous creatures. The biggest hurdle, however, was being away from my young children and fearing that I wouldn't make it back home. This fear was somewhat irrational, since flying is technically safer than other forms of transportation and my chances of getting attacked by a platypus were fairly slim. But fear, by nature, is not rational, so I suffered many a sleepless night.

I agonized over this decision so much, because I knew I had to take this trip. Something was urging me to seize this moment, face this fear, and trust in something greater. Ultimately, I fought through my demons, laced up my converse, kissed my family, and jumped on that plane! Would this all have been possible without my trusty converse? The world may never know.





No comments:

Post a Comment