Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Broaden Your Horizons


I took this picture last year in Melbourne, Australia. The purpose of the trip was to be the matron of honor in one of my dearest friend's wedding. When she first asked me to play this role, my initial response was, "Absolutely not!" I wanted to stand by her side, but I didn't want to travel across the world to do it! I don't particularly like flying and I definitely don't like being in a plane for over 20 hours! My biggest fear, however, was being away from my children. I couldn't bare the thought that something might happen to them while I was away, or that something would happen to me and I wouldn't make it home.

I agonized over the decision for months, even after the ticket was purchased, I wondered if I would actually have the guts to get on the plane. My husband urged me along and convinced me that I needed this trip. Every time I fell into doubt, he would point out my irrational fears and basically tell me to, "suck it up!" I fought him every step of the way, but it turns out, he was completely right. I did need this trip.

It was a huge personal triumph for me to travel so far away and move completely out of my comfort zone. It was also incredibly fulfilling to stand next to one of my oldest friends, surrounded by her sisters, and watch her so calmly make the most important vows of her life. Having the opportunity to make a speech on her behalf was a great gift for me. It was even more moving to hear her speech, when she thanked my husband and kids for temporarily parting with me, so I could share this moment with her.

Being away forced me to let go of control and trust in something greater. It also gave me the opportunity to reconnect with friends that I have been somewhat removed from since becoming a mother. When I came home, I started looking at myself as a whole person, with a variety of important roles to play. When you become a mother, it's so easy to be completely consumed by that one role, because the demands and emotions are so intense. But I realized, that I have much more to offer my kids when I allow myself to continue growing as an individual. So while I don't see myself jumping on the next plane to Zimbabwe, I do see myself seizing the day as much as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment