Sunday, April 24, 2011

Magical Moments


One of the best things about having little kids is the sense of wonder that surrounds them. My kids are both at an age where they still believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny. My husband and I encourage their imaginations as much as possible, because we know that this time is all too fleeting. In fact, the doubts have already started creeping into my son's head. When my Dad asked him what he wanted the Easter Bunny to bring him, my son followed up his response with, "If there really is an Easter Bunny." I grabbed my husband and told him what I had just overheard, we both felt a quick stab to the heart knowing that reality is starting to win out over imagination.

Some people don't buy into the whole Santa thing or Easter Bunny charade, but I don't understand why. Do they think it is pointless or deceitful to play along? I clearly remember the let-down I experienced after coming to the conclusion that these figures were not "real" in the sense that I imagined, but I also recall the intense joy I felt from believing in something spectacular! Yes, it was disappointing to learn that Santa didn't actually come down our chimney (especially since we didn't have one!), but I also had the experience of hours of day-dreaming with my sister about all the wonders of the North Pole. The excitement we experienced before Holidays was indescribable. We were certain that we had heard sleigh bells, or footsteps, or even the hopping of bunny feet! Those early years were absolutely magical!

One year the Easter Bunny left me a note; I can still recall the incredible awe of that moment. I remember thinking, "Wow, the Easter Bunny left me a note, this is one of the coolest things that has EVER happened, I must be a pretty special kid!" There was even a picture of the Easter Bunny on the note, which I found amazing, because I always wondered what he looked like. I recall playing detective about how he must have jumped onto the counter, and where he found the pen, and how he knew how to spell my name. For a kid, this is more important than any adult can imagine. My Mom probably had no idea that this little note would mean so much to me, but it did, because it meant that magic was real.

It's hard to set your kids up for disappointment. I think some parents discourage make-believe, because they don't want their kids to be crushed or disillusioned when doubt emerges, but it doesn't have to be this way. In second grade, I asked my Mom directly if Santa existed. She explained to me that Santa didn't actually bring gifts, but that the spirit of Christmas was magical and real and that it lived in my heart. Around the same time, I realized that the Easter Bunny hadn't written that special note, but that realization came with a silver lining too. I saw how much my Mom loved me. My parents were willing to stay up late writing silly notes and sneaking around with gifts, just so that we could believe in something wonderful. As an adult, this is the memory that I hold in my heart.

My husband and I are now passing on this gift to our kids. Last night, we were the ones tip-toeing about hiding eggs and filling Easter baskets. My husband even got up at 5:00 A.M. to hide more eggs around our yard before the kids woke up. We're both giddy with anticipation when we hear their little feet on the stairs.  The experience is even more exciting when I allow myself to step into their shoes. When I do this, I realize that they are living the magic in its purest form. They believe in something that doesn't make sense, because so far, no one has told them not to.

I may no longer wait up for sleigh bells, but I continue to believe in the unbelievable. As a child, I was given the freedom to dream and the space for faith; this continues to serve me with each passing year.Some of us think that we should outgrow the fairy tales, but often we need them even more as we age. Teaching your kids to believe in what they can't see, gives them the opportunity to open their hearts and their minds to endless possibilities. When we can accept that there is more to this world than meets the eye, we can embark on the path to true wisdom. My mantra... trust, have faith, believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment