Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Most Important Thing I'll Ever Do


There are many things I hope to achieve in my life. I would like to write a few books, travel through Europe, become a successful entrepreneur, master the art of gardening, create a delicious marinara sauce, and learn to sew the perfect wrap dress, or a perfect anything for that matter! Yes, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to reach these goals, but they will always pale in comparison to the most important thing I'll ever do, which is to love my kids.

I'll admit, it sounds simple, but answer me this... How much better would the world be if every parent loved their child? I can only imagine how far-reaching the benefits would be if every parent was able to provide their child with this one gift. This gift wouldn't require money, or intelligence, or back-breaking work; it's accessible to everyone. Loving your kids doesn't require perfection either. All it requires is the ability to recognize, accept, and cherish your child for who they are, that's it.

When I put my kids to bed at night, I often take a few moments to admire them while they're sleeping. In these moments, I'm not distracted by the noise of life. No one is asking me for anything or arguing, everything is quiet. This is the most magical time of my day, because when I look at my children I can truly see them. I forget about the stress of the day and can forgive myself for the mistakes I inevitably made along the way. I'm able to do this, because I know that at the root of everything I do, there is love.

So no matter where life takes me, I will keep this as my ultimate goal. Books and pasta sauce are great, but they are meaningless, unless they can be shared with loved ones. If I can succeed in loving my children throughout their lives, then I trust that they will be able to pass this love on to their children. My hope would be that this love will continue to pour forth with each generation. So you see, this is why loving my kids is so important. Love has the power to continue long after you are gone and is the only thing that doesn't fade with time. So while you're out there striving to achieve your material goals, keep in mind that these accomplishments will eventually be forgotten, but the love you put out into the world will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment