Monday, February 14, 2011

Sugar & Spice & Heartbreak


My husband and I are pretty lax about Valentine's Day. Some years we celebrate and others we kind of just let happen. There's usually some form of flowers or candy or goofy gift, but we tend not to go overboard. My daughter, however, thinks that this is the best holiday, EVER! A day devoted entirely to pink and red hearts, what's not to love, right?! She loves the festive glitter and garish pinkness. Honestly, it's hard not to get excited when you see the holiday through her eyes. My daughter, like my son, also happens to be a bit of a romantic, so this day is especially appealing.

Now, I've already told you about my son's heartbreak of the year, in my post, "Purple Dress"; here's another tear-jerker for you! Just like my son's sweetheart, my daughter's sweet baboo has also moved away. She planned on giving him a special card before his departure, but a snowstorm got in the way of their farewell. When she realized that she wasn't going to see him, she said, "But Mommy, I didn't even get to tell him that I love him!"

I couldn't let this love go unrequited, so I contacted his mom to get their new address. Unfortunately, her card did not make it there today, because she went a little crazy with the glitter glue. I had to allow for a few extra days of drying time. She, however, did get something in the mail today... a beautiful photo card of her "boyfriend".

She beamed when she saw his sweet little face! She spent the next several hours carrying around his picture. At one point, she came up to me and said, "Mommy, my eyes are watering." I said, "Oh yeah, why?" And she responded, "Because I miss my boyfriend so much!" Ahhh, young love!

This little boy may not know that he is her "boyfriend", but that doesn't seem to matter to my daughter. For her, this love is real, and his valentine made her day more special than any amount of pink glitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment