Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Best Seat in the House



 My grandmother has a sign in her kitchen that reads,
"No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best."

I've always loved that sign, and now that I have my own kitchen, I find myself appreciating that statement even more. Above is our kitchen, which happens to be my favorite room in the house. It seems like many people are moving further and further away from this sacred space. After-school activities, fast food, and too much work have forced many of us out of the "best seat in the house".

This fact is unsettling at best. Great peace can be found stirring a pot of soup, or washing dishes (by hand!), and most of all, by sharing meals with family. We need to reclaim this space in order to maintain balance in our lives.

Two days ago, we gathered around the table to enjoy my husband's waffles for breakfast. Later that evening, we pulled up two extra chairs for my parents during dinner. This afternoon, my kids and I painted masterpieces at that very same table.

So, when you find yourself stressed-out, overworked, and under-nourished, do yourself a favor.... Grab yourself a spot at the kitchen table. Is it, after all, the best seat in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment