Monday, January 24, 2011

When in Doubt, Build a Fort



One of my fondest childhood pastimes involved making forts with my siblings. In an instant, we could be transported to any time, any place, and be ready for any adventure. My sister's bed could be easily transformed into the perfect fort. My Dad and grandfather had built her bed into the wall, so it basically looked like a big picture window. We would hide inside and tuck blankets into the frame of the bed. We would always be accompanied by various stuffed animals, and possibly one or two of our cats if we could snag them. For hours, our imaginations would run wild in our special little cave.

This weekend, my kids got to have their own fort experience. They are lucky enough to have bunk beds at my Mom's house, so the fort-making possibilities are endless! I closed off the bottom bunk with blankets, figuring that they would cozy up together. Of course, this did not suffice. They wanted a fort in the top bunk as well, so I had to get a little more creative.

An engineer, I am not, so the end result was not exactly pretty. But it's amazing what you can do with an extra blanket and a staple gun! Watching my kids play brought me right back to my childhood. Immediately their imaginations kicked in, while they enjoyed their bunk-bed picnic.

Sometimes we forget that the simplest experiences are often the most memorable. So when your kids get antsy, just throw a few pillows and blankets their way. The act of creating a sacred space is an experience that will last a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment