Thursday, January 13, 2011

Half Fun


I've always been intrigued by personalities, especially within the family dynamic. My son is basically my polar opposite. I tend to be optimistic and am always exploring endless possibilities. My son, on the other hand, is a bit more pessimistic and enjoys pointing out the flaws in any given situation.

For example, after we've spent time doing something that I know my son enjoys, I'll ask him, "So, did you have a good time?". Despite the fact that I've watched him laugh and smile throughout the entire activity or outing, he will almost always answer with something like this...

"Well, I had a little fun."
Or, "Not too much fun."
Or, my personal favorite, "Half fun."

Those two simple words, "half fun", truly encapsulate my son's personality; he is definitely a "glass half empty" kind of kid. Strangely enough, I actually find his personality quite refreshing. Most people would find such a temperament frustrating or annoying, but usually I'm simply entertained by his curmudgeon-ness. He doesn't put on a show, or smile when he's sad; he feels how he feels, without excuses. Obviously, it's helpful to, "look on the bright side", but sometimes it's just as important to acknowledge feelings of disappointment or sadness.

So, when my son makes a point of mentioning everything Santa failed to bring, or when he admits that his birthday cake was, "not too great", at least I know he's being honest, which is really the only "golden rule" in our household.

The way I see it, our kids enter this world with their own thoughts, feelings, and personalities; our job is simply to recognize who that person is. So if my son is just, "half fun", than that's "all good" with me!

2 comments: