Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dirty Job!


I've never watched that show, "Dirty Jobs", but I'm almost certain that being a mother to my daughter could land me a prime spot on the program. This particular photo was taken after she took a marker to her face, hands, feet, and belly. I think the project started when she decided that she wanted to be a cat. I remember her saying something about needing whiskers and then things escalated from there.

She has a habit of "mentioning" things in passing, like, "Mom, I'm just gonna go do this..." If she senses the slightest bit of permission on my part, she's off and running! In other words, she's going to move forward with her crazy plan, unless I dive in and put a whole-hearted kibosh on the whole thing. Saying, "Honey, I don't think that's such a great idea", means nothing to my child.

This sort of behavior drives my husband to insanity; her "creative spontaneity" upsets all of his sensibilities. He's neat, orderly, and practical. She is messy, chaotic, and imaginative! Thankfully, his exasperation is tempered by his complete and utter adoration of this messy, little creature. He showers her with kisses and "I Love You's" in between phrases like this...

"Child, why would you do something like that?!"
"What made you possibly think that was a good idea?!"
"YOU ARE GOING TO GET HURT!"
"You're going to put me into an early grave!"
"My ticker can't take this!"
"I don't understand you!"

And of course, my personal fave...

"YOU ARE JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER!"

It makes me chuckle every time!

2 comments:

  1. Love this. She IS just like you, Cate. Except that I don't remember you being QUITE as mischievous as she is. That was my job. I guess she's got a little Aunt Sara mixed in with Mommy... and that's probably not a good thing. Apologize to Zack for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it makes a great combination! Messy, yes! But never boring!

    ReplyDelete